Thursday, November 15, 2012

*Review* - The Tec Accessories P-7 suspension clip - or the tiny giant of the EDC world.

How can something so small be so hugely useful?


I gotta be honest - when I first started reading about the use of suspension clips on EDC Forums, I didn't get it.  What was the point of suspending something in your pocket?  But as I saw more and more references to them, and as I saw the comments and reviews grow and grow in number on the Forum store, JS Burly's, it piqued my interest, so I bought one!


The Tec Accessories P-7 suspension clip is made of spring tempered stainless steel, the metal isn't shiny, but instead features a bead blasted finish that is more of a matte - which, despite its size, is pleasing to the eye and probably makes it even more discreet.  This is a very small clip, at .28" wide (7mm), and 1.53" long (39mm) and weighing in at a flyweight of .11oz (3 grams) it is the definition of small, light, thin, and unobtrusive - the clip is very difficult to see when clipped to the edge of ones pocket.  In short, it delivers fully on the office-friendly paradigm that I am chasing.  

The clip features a standard, small split ring, to which I attached - as I tend to do with anything I can find that is metallic and round - a McGizmo clip (I absolutely love these clips, but that is a discussion for another day.)  The McGizmo adds to the flexibility as I can attach and detach items very easily and quickly.  I have never found the clip to be obtrusive, I haven't caught an edge on anything, no one has pointed it out, and as you will see below, it transforms bulky visible items into a much more discreet package.

The clip costs around $12, which frankly feels a little high for what is basically a drilled, rounded, and bent thin piece of stainless steel (I am sure I am over simplifying - I am no metalsmith) - but as you will see, I still think the value is there, albeit with a couple of small caveats.

The manufacturer claims the clip conquers "key fob bulge" - and it makes this claim on the basis that if you think about the piles of gear we EDCers cram into our pockets, and the resulting feel and weight of a metallic lump at the bottom of the pocket and then you add the suspension clip, you take the heavy, visible, and bulky lump, and now suspend it in a vertical orientation, anchored by the clip securely attached to the edge of the pocket.  



The Leatherman Juice S2, my latest favorite office multitool (a great combination of weight and capability) is a good example of a tool that benefits from the suspension clip.  The tool doesn't feature a pocket clip, it has a small lanyard point, and it is just heavy and thick enough that it feels heavy in the pocket, and "prints" easily - i.e. you can visibly see the outline of it in the pocket of typical dress trousers or dockers.  Put the tool on the P-7 and the manufacturer's claims magically come true - what was weighing down your pocket a few seconds ago now is suspended gracefully and pulls off that ever elusive disappearing act.  I couldn't believe the difference - and to be honest, I am not sure how I missed the point of this until I actually used it, but there you go.  As an added bonus, your loaded pockets are now willing recipients of MORE GEAR!! 

I like that this clip allows me to spread the load of the gear I am carrying.  For example, if I am carrying a medium sized folder like my Spydie Sage or Caly3 along with a CR123a flashlight in the left inside pocket of a sportcoat, forget about adding a multitool - it would be way too heavy.  But if I suspend the multitool and clip it to the right hand trouser pocket, it is much more balanced, weightwise, and significantly cuts down on single pocket bulk.  Plus, a suspended Juice S2 coexists really well with a front pocket wallet.

I tend to find that this clip works best with items that do not already have a pocket clip, for me, mainly medium sized multitools, and key rings loaded with the myriad of gadgets we tend to attach to them.  I mainly purchase flashlights that feature a pocket clip, so I don't normally use the clip for my lights, but I tried it on a couple of lights that allow for a split ring - and the result was largely the same - the seemingly magical, graceful suspension leading to the disappearing act!

I have become a believer.

I did mention some caveats, so first off, at $12, Tec took a lot of heat on the forums, but to be honest, this thing works so well, and has so much positive impact on the overall comfort of carrying stuff, I find $12 to be more than reasonable.  However, the second issue is a result of one of the clips greatest strengths, its lightness, thinness and unobstrusiveness - it can tend to bend and open up at the clip point where it attaches to the pocket.  This is easily solved by a quick squeeze of the pliers - but it is something to keep an eye on.  I have owned my P-7 for many months now, and have used it alot, and I have had to re-shape the clip three or four times, as I like it to clip very firmly to my pocket edge.



There have been some newer entrants to the suspension clip market, most notably the Munroe Dangler has been getting a lot of play on the forums, mainly because of the fact it is made of titanium (and we EDCers flock to titanium like moths to a flame) and that it is available in three different sizes, including a larger one that features a bottle opener in its design.  Apparently these Danglers are like hens teeth however, Munroe appears to be a relatively small, artisan group, and I think demand currently outstrips supply if comments on the EDC Forums are any indication.  Plus they are even more expensive, ranging from $20 - $59 depending on size. 

My wife has been stealing my P-7 on a regular basis, she likes to use it as a clip for her key ring in her purse, clearly leaving open the justification to acquire a new suspension clip - so I just might order one of these Danglers - if I can find one!!



1 comment:

  1. Had the same issue with the clip losing it's grip and fixed it the same way. I found a good deal for these clips here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/72201

    ReplyDelete