Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Today's Carry

Today was a sport coat day (blue patterned Brooks Brothers if you are asking! And if you happen to click that link -c'mon this is no fashion show - I didn't pay even remotely close to that for it - I bought mine at the Brooks Brothers outlet.) - appropriate dress for the meetings I had today, and quite frankly - I like that I get extra pockets out of the deal.  The sportcoat is a great "tool" for office dwelling EDCers...the double whammy of looking a bit dressed up, with the bonus of all those extra pockets.

Today I brought the Bill's Urban Wallet (BUW?) back into service after a long break from using it.  I actually used it this past weekend and enjoyed the utility that it brought me (how quickly I forget) so I decided to carry it the office today as well.  The load-out was simple, a very-very-mini-first aid kit (I hesitate to even call it a FAK as it only has bandaids, gauze, and Advil) split between the two zipper compartments, the trusty Leatherman Juice in one of the front sleeves with an orange paracord lanyard attached with a McGizmo clip (eases pulling the tool out from the pocket of the wallet as it sits fairly deep), and the Lumapower Incendio V3U+ as my light of choice.

Note: the Leatherman Juice is slid partially out of the pocket to prove it is there! 

This combination didn't achieve that magical "disappears into the pocket" trick.  It weighs in at 8.3 oz, and felt slightly bulky in my pocket.  I always knew it was there, if you know what I mean.  In fact, it sometimes felt like it was weighing down the left side of my coat a little, to the point where I could feel its left shoulder leaning/slipping down to the left. Again, this is only slightly - but enough to notice.  I can't help but think that, especially for what I normally need in a typical office day, that a combination like the Leatherman Squirt S4, along with a nice AAA light like my new copper Maratac that I haven't opened yet, and my Spyderco Dragonfly 2 might be able to conjure up the disappearing act a little better - it should, at only 5.8 oz.

Did I need any of these tools today?  Well, sorta.  I came back to my office after a long morning meeting and was greeted to a shipping box on my desk.  The clip point blade on the Juice made short work of that - not exactly a "hard use" day - by a long shot!!



No comments:

Post a Comment